Nestle Senior Manager, Category Development in Seattle, Washington
Nestlé and Starbucks are bringing together the world’s most iconic coffee brands. Starbucks’ robust product portfolio celebrates coffee with rich tradition – customer experience is paramount. Coupled with Nestlé’s mission to enhance the quality of consumers’ lives and contributing to a healthier future, this strategic alliance will create career opportunities that will drive innovation and go-to-market strategies, bringing the best coffee to customers around the world.
It has never been a more exciting time to join (Nestlé Starbucks Coffee).
Job Summary and Mission
The Sr. Manager, Category Development role contributes to Nestle Starbucks Coffee's success by driving sales and equity, along with category growth both directly with CPG retailers and through our field based category development partners. Additionally, this role will enable field Category Development team performance through mutually beneficial category stories, thoughtful analysis, insight-based selling stories, best in class category management processes and shelf management principles. This position also works cross functionally within Channel Development to serve as the category expert to enable better decisions.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability/talent, and modeling how we work together:
• Directly leads the HQ Category Development team to drive business results.
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork
• Oversees training and development of partners and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team
• Manages Channel Development Rotational Partner program; directly supervises and mentors rotational partners during their Category Development rotation.
• Works to create cohesive culture and team connections across Headquarters and Field Category Development teams
• Represents Category Development team with senior level internal audiences
• Facilitates training to help raise the analytic capability across the organization
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
• Develops strategic customer relationships through direct and indirect interactions/presentations, project management and category thought leadership.
• Leads, in partnership with the field-based Category Development teams, the creation and delivery of the category joint business plan with retailers, leveraging Shopper and Retailer insights.
• Facilitates knowledge sharing throughout the organization by providing business insights, standards and ad hoc reports to diverse audiences.
• Leads others in solving complex analytic problems using data and insights.
• Works closely with sales planning, marketing & customer business development leadership teams to ensure integration and consistency of category messages.
• Leads the creation of national category selling presentations and insight-based opportunities to drive growth potential through Merchandising, Assortment, Pricing and Shelving best practices.
• Leads efforts with internal Consumer Insights teams to help scope, conduct primary research.
• Interprets shopper and consumer research to drive category focused solutions for channels, customers and Nestle Starbucks brands.
• Serves as the headquarters team primary point of contact to the Category Development field teams.
• Develops Category Development tools and serves as SME expert for broader team.
• Leads special projects for the Director, Category Development
• Works cross functionally to bring to life Shopper Inspired Shelf Principles
• Leads, in partnership with the Manager, Market Analytics, external consultants and data providers to drive project prioritization and execution.
• Stays ahead of industry, category & brand, issues and trends and identifies target opportunities
• Acts as a Nestle Starbucks “Coffee Master”; intimately understands the coffee category, from farm to cup, as a consumer and as a shopper; is viewed by the customer as the "go to" coffee & tea expert.
Planning and Execution
Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
• Works closely with the Director, Category Development to create annual strategic priorities for the Category Development organization; helps to prioritize conflicting strategic initiatives.
• Collaborates with National and Regional CBD and Category teams in the planning process around identifying strategic opportunities, analyzing and aligning with the team's business plans.
• Collaborates with multiple Brand Marketing teams to help operationalize strategic priorities around assortment, shelf placement and innovation.
Summary of Experience Years
• 5 years of experience in category development roles at a traditional CPG company
• At least 10 years of relevant work experience in category, sales, marketing, etc
• 2 years of experience managing others preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline
• Experience in Shopper insights and/or shopper marketing preferred
• Experience working in a corporate headquarters environment highly desired
• Experience working in field-based sales or category development role preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
• Strong financial acumen, ability to negotiate and reach win/win agreements
• Understands the CPG industry, leads joint business planning, and commercialize an idea
• Ability to sell an idea persuasively and to collaborate with others
• Ability to build diverse collaborative relationships
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Comfort communicating and presenting to Sr. level audiences
• Can work in a fast paced, changing, matrix environment
Job: Sales/Sales Services
Organization: Nestle USA
Title: Senior Manager, Category Development
Requisition ID: 18005978
The Nestlé Companies are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers and are looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment: Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran.